|Rockin' Ava's hairdo handiwork after work with a napping Dylan, who was wiped out after running around indoors and out all day with his sister.|
Four days into the storm, just as I was thinking how working remotely wasn't so bad, the power went out: no lights, heat, hot food or eventually, electronic devices. Insert blood curdling scream.
Ultimately, we lost power for 13 hours, which was fun for the kids (flashlights! A fire in the fireplace! All the snacks we can eat!) but quickly grew tiresome for us adults, especially once the electronic devices started losing battery life.
Notes for the next time:
- get real firewood. Firelogs don't really throw off heat, just light.
- get more batteries and some of those windup lights for the kids so that we don't burn through the batteries.
- stock up on more no-heat foods (tuna, beef jerky, fruits, etc.)
- dig out the battery-operated radio/TV tuner. We have one, but it's packed somewhere from the move. It would have been helpful to hear what was going on elsewhere in the area. We were happy in our little bubble though.