Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Take my daughter to work day

Sometimes the best laid plans go awry. Case in point: my daycare situation. We've cobbled together a pretty good patchwork of family members to care for Ava while either me or J. are working. But a couple weeks ago, it all fell through and Ava ended up at work with me for the afternoon.
It was an impromptu celebration of Take My Daughter To Work Day, although I think they ("they" meaning faceless hordes who do stuff that can't be verified) changed it to Take My CHILD To Work Day because apparently some parent of a boy felt they were being left out of the chance to see how women, on average, still make 70-cents to the dollar most men make for the same work. But I'm digressing.

Taking MY daughter to work was great except for the having to work part. Typing, sitting in meetings and thinking about work things are not so easy with a 4 month old vying for your attention. Shocker.

Fortunately, she loves seeing new people and was quite content to hang out with some of my co-workers while I finished a meeting. Once again, the sisterhood of women came through in a pinch. Oh, the blessings that surround me.

But I'd be lying if I said I've got this work/life thing figured out. I feel as if I'm keeping all the balls in the air, but not doing any of them well. I'd like to drop all volunteer activities that require evening meetings, but I can't bring myself to. Here's why I'd like to: if I can't at least run home before an evening meeting, I miss out on seeing Ava awake for the day, which is just not acceptable to me.

So she's tagged along a couple times to meetings. Not professional, I know, even though she's been a perfect, quiet little angel both times. But I figure hey: I'm a work-outside-the-home mom of a 4 1/2 month old: they (faceless hordes again) can deal with it or suck it. Did I mention I've become a bit more brusque? I re-prioritized what I can fit into my life and niceties solely for the benefit of others was just edged out on the list by shaving my legs periodically and anything involving sleep.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention: the whole sleep thing is not going well. I'm running on fumes, so is the baby most days, and she's not getting good naps or sleep, so no one's getting rest. Aargh. On the bright side, when she is awake and not desperate for sleep, she's the happiest baby around. Me too, now that I think about it. We'll get it figured out eventually. We're only 4+ months in after all. There's no where to go but up.

No comments:

Post a Comment