Thursday, March 01, 2007

The Anti 9 to 5 Guide reading


I'm at the University Bookstore listening to Michelle Goodman, author of the book The Anti 9 to 5 Guide about how to craft a fulfilling life without having to work in a cubicle.




I've heard her talk at freelancer events before and she's great. She wrote the book as a way of sharing some of the things she did wrong when she broke into the freelancing ranks.
I'm definitely of the generation that is not approaching life with the idea of getting on the career train, buckling up, and getting off 30 years later.




In fact, I've built a solid career in communications by working at several successive jobs that built my skill set, increased my responsibilities, and provided great experience and contacts. Although I've been in the field for nearly 15 years, the longest I've worked at one job is four years. The rest ranged from one and a half to two years. And I'm still in touch with bosses and co-workers from every one. The serial employment appoach, which Michelle Goodman touched on, works these days. Her book is more about serial freelance, part-time, flex-time or other non-traditional/non-9 to 5 employment, but I think some of the same rules apply.




I'm looking forward to reading the book. The sections I skimmed while waiting for the reading to begin were pretty funny and informative. And I'm always looking for ways to do more freelancing, since I have SO much free time after spending time with my husband, family and dog, working 45-50 hours, serving on a board, volunteering as a mentor, and chairing a committee for a service group. ;-) But you know: you make time for the things you value. Or you should.

No comments:

Post a Comment